Sunday 4 April 2010

Commitment

Before I started work I used to go to the gym 2-3 times a week. Then it became a bit less often when I began work cause it was harder to find a time that suited, and after I became pregnant with Joshua I just didn't have the energy. So after Joshua was born I made a commitment that I would join the gym again & go regularly. However I hadn't yet for the following reasons:
1) Have to wait 6 weeks after giving birth
2) Was going to Australia for 3mth
3) Was doing an after birth exercise class already
4) Gyms in Denmark don't provide child minding during the day

While in Oz we had the chance to try out the Wii fit plus & I decided that this would be an excellent solution to the child minding problem, as well as the suitable time issue that I sure would arise from time to time. So on Saturday we bought it & I started my program today. My goal is to do 30min/day.


4 comments:

  1. Warning - you might still find that not having child minding and finding a suitable time, still may be a problem with a Wii fit.

    If you are anywhere in the house, the kids will always find something to bug you about - needing help with toys, wanting a drink...

    And finding a suitable time may also be an issue - I think that many mums with a Wii fit think it means they can do it in the evenings when the kids are in bed, but the reality of being a mum to small children is either there are other jobs that need getting done in the evening or you are just too tired from getting through the day and just want to sit down (possibly for the first time all day) and rest.

    So basically I guess I'm saying that it is still going to take a big commitment and motivation on your part to carve out that 30 minutes every day to do the exercise. I'm excited that you are going to try and hope you are able to make it a life long habit (well maybe not the Wii fit thing - technology and you lifestyle will change, but the 30min of exercise every day).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I see your point that kids can still distract & I'll probably have to deal with that in the future, but at the moment I just do it while he's having a sleep.

    As for finding the time I think it's no different to going to the gym. You have to prioritise & just make the commitment to do it. Though I must admit that going to the gym you get out of the house & away from the reminder of all that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how has your exercise commitment been going? Are you doing 30 minutes every day? Have you noticed any improvement/changes yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately you were right & I've been busy with things (like house hunting/playgroup/visiting finance agencies) that I haven't been doing 30min every day (except for the 1st week). But I have managed to do it 1-2 times a week, plus I go for a walk most days, & swimming once a week. I haven't noticed a change in my weight, but the last time I did Wii my balance scores were a lot better & I was able to do the exercises a little easier.

    ReplyDelete