Friday 11 June 2010

Identity

This is something I have been thinking about recently after reading my sister's blog on Stay at Home Mums (SAHMs).

In Denmark, one's identity is wholely linked to ones career. The cultural norm is that mums return to work 6-12mth after giving birth, & it's not very common for mums to work from home. So there is HUGE pressure to return to work & many assumptions/inferences applied to the very few that do decide to stay home. Comments I have had are that I'll become lazy & my kids will be spoilt. To which my reply is: 1) looking after a child 24/7 is by no means a walk in the park, & 2) if being there for my kids whenever they need me & providing for them is spoiling my kids then so be it. I certainly don't view it as the easy way out.

As a Christian we should ultimately find our identity in Christ, & therefore it shouldn't matter what others think. But thinking from a worldly point of view, why can't our identity be that we're a SAHM? It's as worthy a career as a nurse or an engineer.

No comments:

Post a Comment